In an artistic and patient mood I decided to draw a church that stood out when I first arrived. It grabbed my attention mainly because it's a traditionally designed church but made of red bricks but also because it's surrounded and dwarfed by modern buildings.
I spent around an hour (I only know this from the chimes if City Hall!) sitting in a bus stop drawing and also felt like Forest Gump sitting on the bench with buses and people coming and going. It was so worth it as I got such satisfaction from what I think is my best drawing here yet.
After lunch at the hostel, my obsession with Brisbane's bridges continued as I headed over to GoMA, the Gallery of Modern Art.
Inside the gallery I soaked up all of the art, enjoying it far more than the Museum of Contemporary Arts in Sydney.
The pieces that really stood out were:
Michel Tuffery - Povi tau vaga (the challenge)
These bulls were part of a bigger performance with drumming, dancing and charging flames!
More info here:
And this video installation by Candice Breitz.
Tuesday 22nd July 2014
Determined to finally draw the treasury building I set of raring to go. Within minutes of leaving the hostel, on what I've dubbed 'the humpy bridge', it bagan to pour with rain so I dashed down the stairs on the other side and sheltered underneath for a while. As is began to ease off I ducked amongst the buildings of the cultural centre before heading over another bridge to the treasury. Unfortunately I only drew half as the bench I thought was dry actually made my bottom damp!
I'm beginning to realise I have a knack of discovering unexpected treats and today's was the Brisbane Festival of Bands in Queen Street Mall, a competition between school groups. Whiling away a few hours, I listened to a couple of string groups from one school and then a couple of concert bands from a boys school.
Afterwards I began to work my way towards the botanical gardens but got distracted by the treasury hotel and National Trust building with a green between them so stopped to draw part of the hotel.
I made it to the gardens in the end and walked through, finding a kookaburra along the way, then along the river back to the hostel.
Luckily I made it back just before another downpour!
Wednesday 24th July
Cuddle a Koala day! The long awaited trip to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary arrived. I took a bus up to the santuary and admired even more koalas. My koala photos are becoming a bit like Ben's penguin photos (apologises for the limited audience for that joke!).
Amusingly I had a fright with a lorikeet and caught it on camera. It decided to fly right at me and I jumped out of my skin. It must've looked quite a sight!
Worth it though as I ended up with this beauty!
This was as close as I made it to the kangaroos - still a scardy cat!
...dingos...
...emus and frog faced something or others!
We wander for distraction, but travel for fulfilment. - Hilaire Belloc
Edit: Here's the photo from Lone Pine - I had to wait for the postcards to arrive home!



























No comments:
Post a Comment